Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sigh...

Tonight is the first night of summer classes. Sigh.... I'm not looking forward to it. I REALLY need a break from stress, but with my boss's retirement finally acknowledged, I can't risk taking time off. If the new job falls through, I need my back-up plan in place. Which means summer quarter classes are a must.

Ever since my boss finally admitted the retirement, I've had a major pain in my neck. I feel like a really nasty vampire is bitting me every night, and not in a good way. The tension is really there and I know it will not go away until I get a new job and settle in. Long, hard 'bummer' road ahead.

I think I am throwing myself into my writing partly out of stress (it's an escape). I think I am also channelling the energy I use for dreaming and magic into it a lot. I feel like I do when I use magic in dreams when I'm writing. The same flow and excitement. It is the only thing that really keeps me happy and sane with everything that is going on.

And, so, with all the frantic writing to keep me happy, I have just started Chapter 23 last night. Closing in on the 30+ chapters mark for the ending. A character popped up a couple of chapters ago that I really love, and it is hard to keep him from stealing the show from my main guys. He'll definately need to show up in a future book. Probably more than one, since he needs some time to 'heal' before he'll be ready for a romance of his own. Or maybe not. Maybe that'll just make the challenge even greater, the obsticles to love that much more.

Anyway, the story is turning toward the final climax. It is laid out before me pretty nicely, even without planning. I think it is much better than anything I could have planned in advance. I'm really looking forward to it. I expect to have the novel done before the end of the month. How's that for fast writing? A complete 90-100k novel in just about 2 months. If I could sell everything I writing, and write at that pace regularly, I could quit worrying about day jobs and write full time in a year or two. (Dreaming big, there. I know.)