Friday, June 09, 2006

Nervous Breakdown

I finally got up the nerve to talk to my boss. After I put my food in the break room this morning, I decided I would not walk past his office without talking with him, or I knew I wouldn't work up the nerve to do it today at all.

Deep breath! Deep breath!

I went in his office. I asked since we had received word our one remaining study was concluding, what was on the horizon. (My 'day job' is as a tech and study manager in a sleep research lab at a VA hospital.)

He asked me to take a seat.

Oh, Goddess, that's not good.

Here's the gist of the conversation. He is eligible to retire in the fall. He's not actively started the retirement process, but he is looking for things 'outside the VA' to move into. He was honest that I 'wouldn't last long' at the VA if he retired because there was no need for me.

Groan!

Then he said he was working on something for me at a local hospital where his wife runs the sleep clinic there and he also sees patients. It's not been worked out yet, but they are expanding the sleep clinic and will need another 3rd shift tech and with differential it 'may' pay more than I'm making now (although I know he doesn't know how much I make). He asked if I would be interested and I said 'absolutely.'

He summed up by saying not to panic, and I promised to try not to.

Meanwhile....

PANIC!!!!!