Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Just Chatting

I've only managed the first 3 pages of Chapter 13. I've re-written it four times, trying to get the right tone. I think I've got it the way I want it now. I'm looking forward to sitting down with it when I get a chance.

A new story popped into my head yesterday and I'm trying to set it aside and see if it holds my interest. I saw a young man walking in the hallway at my local college (where I'm studying computer programming for a mid-career change - as a backup if I don't get a juicy publishing contract before my boss retires and my current job goes 'poof'). The way he was dressed struck me as very interesting. He wore a worn tee-shirt with almost all the artwork washed off so you couldn't even tell what it had been and you could actually see the color of his skin through the washed-until-it's-guaze fabric. The shorts he wore had been jeans in a previous incarnation, and from the substantial fraying, the missing pocket and bleach stains (at least I'm assuming it's bleach), it is fast moving toward final disintegration. With all that you'd think I'd have just wrinkled my nose and moved on. But instead I got a flash of a character wearing that exact outfit. He spang fully formed into my head complete with storyline (a paranormal young-adult romance) and heroine he'll have to save from herself. Sigh.... I am eager to get to his story, too. I've already 'seen' a few scenes that I hope to get down ... as soon as I get the chance.

Earlier, I visited Holly Lisle's homepage. She has the problem I wish I had. Her deadline on a novel was moved up a year and now she has to complete 2 novels in a short amount of time, plus her world-building clinic. I would love to be able to have that life. To be able to quit this bummer of a job and write full time for a living. To have publishers so hungry for my work that I am just racing to keep up. sigh... again!

I just finished a final exam yesterday. I have one today. I have one more class to attend on Wed. night and then this quarter of over.

Summer quarter classes begin next week. No rest for the wicked, I guess.